Thursday, February 19, 2009

Jounral Response 2


Questions

1. What point of view is your story told in?

2. Is the point of view effective?

3. What is one of the most important/memorable events that have happened so far? Think about that moment and re-tell it from another point of view. For example, if you were reading We All Fall Down as your Literature Circles novel you may re-write from Will’s fathers Point of View(min. 300 words)

Answers

1. The point of view in this novel is third person because the pronouns “He” and “They” are used throughout.
2. The point of view in this novel is effective because the author allows the readers to have their own opinion without being biased by other characters. The author gives good information about the characters and events but doesn’t always specify how the characters feel. This allows the readers to be creative with what they think of the characters and with their emotions towards them. There are not many opinionated comments in the novel about other characters personality ensuring there is fair judgment for reader’s feelings. For example, George comments on Lennie’s mental capability to allow the readers to get a sense of his character. His comments are usually within reason to not bias the readers into feeling sorry for him or disliking him. From the author not biasing the readers, the third person tense is effective.
3. The moment in the book I chose to re-tell is when Candy offers to join George and Lennie on pursuing their goal of getting a ranch. I will re-tell the moment from George’s point of view starting on page 59.

After I had heard Candy pitch his idea of joinin’ us on the ranch I need to think about our options. The idea of creating the ranch was s’posed to be only for me an’ Lennie. Lennie was to take care of the animals especially tendin’ the rabbits an’ I was s’posed to do the rest of the work.
Candy seems like a good person who won’ leave us but he’s limited to only a certain amount of work. He’s pitchin’ us a good deal by offerin’ up all his money. The money could really help us in starting’it up an’ by givin’ so much money he shows true dedication’. But’ in the long run the money won’t equal the amoun’ of work he’s goin’ to complete.
This conversation’ would have never started’ if Lennie didn’t open his mouth. He had to talk ’bout tendin’ them rabbits an’ getting’ a place. I wish that guy coul’ be quiet ’round others an’ only talk if asked. The same orders need’ to be repeated to him for it to sink in his brain.
But’ I also feel sorry for the Swamper’ for losing his arm while workin’. He’s got on’y hand an’ needs assistance in daily life. “Candy, Lennie an’ I will think bout’ it. We need to know if it’s okay to change our’ plans,” I said unwillingly.
“Please George, I got no relatives’ nor friends. Jus’ be kind to me. Think bout’ it and tell me your answer.”
He ain’t goin’ to go away easy. I’ll have to get rid of him with a new ’proach. Maybe if I tell him we’ll do her with the money, then he’ll leave us ’lone for a while. “Okay Candy, I’ll see if we can get the house with the money. You coul’ do the work in the house while me and Lennie do the work outside,” I said.
“Sure, in a month’s time I’ll come by and we’ll get the house,” said Candy happily.
I watched as he exited’ the room and thought ’bout how I would destroy the plan. But’ for now I had to worry about working and Curley.

No comments:

Post a Comment